A lot of women write in to ask what they can do to deal with their menopausal symptoms.
I’m not surprised to see this.
Data suggests that up to 80% of women will experience hot flashes in their lifetimes. And this is just 1 symptom of menopause — other symptoms range from night sweats and mood swings to trouble sleeping.
And the symptoms can last for a long time. In fact, some women will experience symptoms for up to 8 years.
Even worse, while the average age of menopause is 51, changes in your body begin years earlier.
This time leading up to menopause is called perimenopause. During perimenopause, estrogen and progesterone production are out of whack …
And you sometimes experience symptoms of full-blown menopause.
Luckily, there are some straightforward, natural things you can do to ease the symptoms. Let’s take a look at the most common symptoms and how to address them:
- Keep a diary of when you experience the flashes. See if any patterns emerge, then try to avoid your triggers. Common causes include spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine, stress and being in a warm room.
- Dress in layers so you can peel as necessary.
- Use a portable fan.
- Don’t smoke! You already know that smoking increases your risk of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, cancer and a range of other health problems. Did you know it also can bring on early menopause? And it may also increase hot flashes.
- Make sure your room is dark, quiet and cool (65 degrees is ideal).
- Use your bedroom for sleep and sex only.
- Wear wicking pajamas that draw sweat away from your skin.
- Try valerian root herb tea 45 minutes before bed.
- Avoid hot and spicy foods and alcohol, as well as caffeine several hours before bedtime.
- Increase complex carbs, which can help the brain produce serotonin, a chemical that helps settle your nerves. Try barley instead of white rice or pasta in soups, substitute a sweet potato for a regular one, sprinkle oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs in meatloaf, and bake with whole-grain flour and oat bran instead of white flour.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes, 5 times a week. Moving your body increases endorphins — those feel-good chemicals in your brain.
- Try an over-the-counter vaginal moisturizer to address dryness and replenish moisture.
- Water-based, over-the-counter lubricants can make sex more comfortable.
- You know the saying use it or lose it? It’s true here. Staying sexually active helps by increasing blood flow to the vagina.
Another super important note: After menopause, a woman’s calcium needs go up to maintain bone health. Women 51 and older should get 1,200 mg of calcium each day.
Vitamin D also is important to bone health. Women 51 to 70 should get at least 600 IU of vitamin D each day. Women ages 71 and older need at least 800 IU of vitamin D each day. Higher amounts, at least 1,000 IU each day, may be needed to achieve and maintain optimal body stores, not only for bone health, but to support immune health, promote healthy cell division and maintain muscle strength.
I’m always on the lookout for health solutions, including dietary supplements, that are backed by sound science. In fact, we’ve developed one such supplement called Menopause Formula No. 1 for the RealDose® brand that specifically targets hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms.
If you’d like to learn more about it, click here.
Steve Sisskind, M.D.
Hi, I'm Dr. Steve Sisskind, Chief Medical Officer & Founder at RealDose Nutrition.
As a young physician, I struggled because my patients came to me with serious health issues, but I didn't have the right tools to help them. Medical school taught me how to put "band aids" on their symptoms with drugs and surgery, but not how to address the root causes of their problems.
Years later I discovered a better approach... based on the fundamental idea that the power of nutrition can transform your health and vitality. But there's a lot of confusion... What foods should I eat? Which supplements should I take? What does the science say?
I have dedicated my life to answering these questions... And I share this knowledge with you every day here at RealDose Nutrition.
I invite you to connect with me by joining my free private community. I've helped thousands of people and I know I can help you too!
Join the Whole Body Club
Dr. Steve Sisskind is on a mission to help you achieve amazing health and vitality through the power of nutrition. Sign up to get access to his valuable health tips, recipes, videos, and discounts for FREE!